Organization Wide Defaults(OWD) in salesforce
Organization Wide Defaults(OWD) in salesforce is the baseline level of access that the most restricted user should have. Organizational Wide Defaults are used to restrict access. You grant access through other means like(sharing rules, Role Hierarchy, Sales Teams and Account teams, manual sharing, Apex Sharing ). In simple words Organization Wide Defaults(OWD) specify the default level of access users have to each other’s records.
Object permissions determine the baseline level of access for all the records in an object. Org-wide defaults modify those permissions for records a users doesn’t own. Org-wide sharing settings can be set separately for each type of object.
Important to note that Org-wide defaults can never grant users more access than they have through their object permission.
There are mainly four levels of access :
- Public Read/Write/Transfer (only available of Leads and Cases)
- Public Read/Write : All users can view, edit, and report on all records(Given that they have object level permission).
- Public Read/Only : All users can view and report on records, but only the owner, and users above that role in the hierarchy, can edit them.
- Private : Only the record owner, and users above that role in the hierarchy, can view, edit, and report on those records.
How to determine OWD for your org:
To determine the org-wide defaults you need for your app, ask yourself these questions about each object:
- Who is the most restricted user of this object?
- Is there ever going to be an instance of this object that this user shouldn’t be allowed to see?
- Is there ever going to be an instance of this object that this user shouldn’t be allowed to edit?
For more detail check this trailhead module.
Setting owd in Salesforce
- In Setup, use the Quick Find box to find Sharing Settings.
- Click Edit in the Organization-Wide Defaults area.
- For each object, select the default access you want to give everyone.
- To disable automatic access using your hierarchies, deselect Grant Access Using Hierarchies for any custom object that does not have a default access of Controlled by Parent.