Developing a Robust Salesforce Testing Strategy
Developing a Robust Salesforce Testing Strategy
Salesforce testing is an important requirement to keep the performance of applications as expected. However, they need to undergo a robust testing strategy comprising unit testing, performance testing, UAT testing, and functional testing, among others.
Quality remains the fundamental element in the success of any organization, let alone a digital one. With digital technology playing a discerning role in improving the quality of our lives, ensuring the quality of such technology is of primary importance. This calls for software application testing and fixing the bugs early in the development (and testing) cycle. The enterprises of today are increasingly using CRM or ERP solutions to manage operations and other processes seamlessly. Salesforce is one such CRM software suite, which along with SAP, Oracle, and Microsoft, is witnessing a steady growth in its adoption. The reasons for the popularity of Salesforce can be attributed to its ease of customization, implementation, flexibility, and scalability. Further, Salesforce is leveraged by the industry in managing leads, contacts, clients, and opportunities. However, not everything is hunky-dory when it comes to implementing the software. For starters, everyone’s concurrence is necessary and the objectives of business need to be clearly defined. Thereafter comes Salesforce testing.
Why test Salesforce?
Since codes can play a critical role in integrating various business processes and functions within an organization, they need to be tested for Salesforce. Salesforce testing would ensure the underlying codes are performing, reliable, and qualitatively superior. The test validates the customizations and configurations done to the software to develop a quality product. The product in the form of software ought to support the client’s business processes. There are two types of testing in a Salesforce testing framework – manual and automated.
In manual Salesforce testing, the application is tested manually with focus on regression, system, integration, and functional testing. However, Salesforce automation testing is about validating the software using a test tool like Selenium.
How to develop a robust Salesforce testing
A business needs to work on automating salesforce application testing to get the best results. However, the steps to validate the applications developed on Salesforce are as follows:
- Business objective: The various CRM features of Salesforce should be aligned with the business objectives. The main purpose of developing and implementing a tool on Salesforce should be understood by the testers. To cite an example, by knowing the purpose of automating the sales process, one can formulate a robust testing strategy.
- Test case scenarios: While creating a Salesforce testing framework make a list of the possible test case scenarios and exceptions. The list should also contain the expected outcomes for each test case scenario and action. Based on the same, the test data need to be collated for each scenario.
- Test drive: The Salesforce platform comes with a program called ‘pre-release trial,’ which allows the testing of any application before entering the production area. Since this is not linked to the production area there would not be any danger of manipulating the real-time data. This gives an ideal opportunity to check various applications if they meet the expected outcomes.
- Functional testing: To ensure maximum test coverage and enhance the quality of the code, testers should go for rigorous Salesforce functional testing. This will help them validate various functions from the users’ perspective.
- Test management:While conducting tests, the testers should ensure the application, function, or feature is in alignment with the operations or business objectives. Therefore, the test results should be checked against the reference data to ensure quality.
- UAT testing: With Salesforce automated testing, care should be taken to conduct User Acceptance Testing (UAT). This way glitches or vulnerabilities inherent in the software can be identified and fixed before the software is released into the market.
- Maintaining test records: This is the most crucial aspect of Salesforce testing as it offers stakeholders a dashboard to understand any underlying issues with the software. Whether it is Salesforce automation testing or manual testing, test records help administrators to identify, understand, and mitigate risks. The records document various failure scenarios and help in further escalation to responsible persons to fix the issues.
Conclusion about Salesforce Testing
Implementing a successful test strategy for Salesforce can help businesses to identify the bottlenecks or glitches and streamline their operations. Since a lot is at stake, the applications developed on the platform should be thoroughly tested for various parameters. It is only after following a successful Salesforce testing that organizations can remain competitive.
For more details about salesforce test class please refer to test class in Salesforce.